Sunday, October 3, 2010

Boss MT-2 Review

Well, guess it's time I did an actual gear review, eh? I'm gonna start with my one and only pedal, the Boss Metal Zone. I compared it to a Boss Metal Core pedal and still settled on this one; obviously, I needed a distortion pedal to give my tone a big bottom end boost (I play an Ibanez, an ESP, a Schecter and a Fender out of a Randall 120RHS half stack) and while the Metal Core definitely shook me down to my bowels, it got pretty muddy to my ears.

**hey. side note here. mostly opinion based, at least to me. find the sound you want, and stick with it. No one can tell you how good you sound but you in the long run. so, just because I like this setup (with settings I'll divulge later) doesn't mean I'm saying its the be all end all tone solution for everyone. **

Now, I'm a big fanboy for the Black Dahlia Murder. That's why I bought my ESP/LTD Mh-53...to emulate their old guitarist, John K. And also why I bought my Ibanez RG350M (yellow); Ryan Knight wouln;t lead me wrong would he? So when I found out that the main riff machine of TBDM, Brian Eschbach, uses Boss Metal Zone pedals, I decided the stock distortion on my Randall amp just wasn't cuttin' it.

The metal zone is just about perfect for death metal and most prog metal applications. The notes are clean and clear, so this pedal is great for soloing. But good news for the br00tal guys out there: this pedal gives any guitar/amp combo a nice, mean distortion/bass boost without any of the notes slurring together. Another thing I've noticed is this thing creates a sustain like no other pedal I've used. I have my setting as such:

Level: right at 12 o'clock. The pedal works best for me this way, and I let the volume controls on ym amo handle the rest.

Low: right at 3 0'clock; I like the low notes to come bowling through the mix.

High: between 4 and 5; gotta have just a little more highs than lows for the sound I love.

Middle Freq: dialed down to about the 10:30 mark. I've never like a bunch of middle frequencies in my tone, don't know why though.

Mids: this one's pushed back to 9 o'clock. again, any mids are usually cut out of my mix. I guess I like a big, boomy bass sound matched against a high, searing solo sound.





So. To sum it up: buy this pedal if you want crushing lows without sacrificing any kind of note clarity or losing sustain. Buy this pedal if you want to be able to tell your individual notes apart (at any speed) and let your chords ring out clearly and cleanly at shows/practice.



Buy this pedal, damnit.

also, I've used this in a coupla vids, like this one and this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment