Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Plea for Purging: The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Review

A Plea for Purging is a hardcore/metal band coming out of Nashville, TN. Their sound is a little hard to describe, but let me try: downtuned, complex poly-rhythmic chug patterns, huge open notes, fast syncopated drumming and one of the most distinctive vocalists/frontmen on the planet. This latest album is, in my opinion, the most diverse product to ever come from this five-piece. It includes some of their heaviest riffs (Sick Silent America, Golden Barriers) and the introduction of some very well-placed clean vocals (The Fall, Trembling Hands, Finite, and The Jealous Wings which is actually sort of a ballad.). The production value on this album is a definite improvement from Depravity, with more sound effects, crisp sounding cymbals, and distinguishable guitar tracking. The lyrics are loosely centered around a "wolves in sheep's clothing" theme, demanding listeners to not be fooled by those with less than pure motives. The lyrics also convey a feeling of a loss of faith in the human race ("If I were God, we'd all be dead" - taken from Shiver) after some hard times experienced by the band.

I preordered this album, and with good reason: APFP is a great band from both a musician's standpoint and that of a music lover. Christians and agnostics alike can appreciate this onslaught of heavy music easily. I've personally met the guys, and never before had I found the dudes on the other side of my speakers to be so cool in person. I highly recommend this album and their entire catalog, for that matter. I'm anxiously awaiting the next album, especially after the melodic side to these guys. I want to see where this new direction takes them. 5/5

Tracklisting:
  1. The Eternal Female
  2. Sick Silent America
  3. Shiver
  4. Golden Barriers
  5. The Fall
  6. And Weep
  7. Trembling Hands
  8. Finite
  9. The Jealous Wings
  10. The New Born Wonder



    @ the warehouse in Jackson, MS

    the Schecter I won from Facedown Records for preordering TMOHAH.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment